Sunday, June 27, 2010

Twenty Two -----------Breaking Obstacles

Steve took Shahzdeh to Joe's cafe, where Anna had first found it on her own and then had taken Steve there. They ordered coffee.
"You know the reason I came here, don't you?" Shazdeh began.
Steve looked out to the dark of the night and city lights. "Yes, I think so; to see me."
"To see you and your family and above all to see Anna and her choice. I knew she would not make a mistake. I like all her decisions, and I think you're a decent human being."
Steve sighed of relief. "Thank you, sir."
"you can call me Ali!"
"I thought your name was Shahzdeh!"
"Shahzdeh is my title. Ali is my name."
"Tittle! I don't understand. Does every Iranian have a title? What does it mean?"
"Like Sir or Lord for British. In Farsi Shazdeh means Prince, or the descendant of an aristocratic forefathers. I am related from both my parents side to the last dynasty, Qajars. In fact Mohammad Ali Shah, the last that ruled the dynasty, was my first cousin. He was nephew to both my mother and father. My parents were cousins. In Iran, you know, cousins do marry, it is very customary practice." Shahzdeh, subliminally, wanted to tell Steve who he was.
"Then I prefer to call you Shahzdeh. I like the name and the concept of it. I like what it means. Is it okay to call you Shahzdeh?"
"Sure, but I am not here to discuss name. Before I go back to Iran. I like to meet your parents." Then he paused for a moment and started two cigarette and gave one to Steve. "I like you two get engaged while I am here; and then we can set a date for the wedding." Shahzdeh felt exhausted for his intrusion; however he could no go back home being in limbo not knowing what the two young people were doing. Just a proposal from Steve was not enough for him. Steve and his family should know that Anna had come form a different culture.
"I agree with you. I was thinking to bring up this subject tomorrow night."
"That is great. How about your parents? When can I see them? You know I can't stay here for ever."
"I can arrange that. I think tomorrow is a short notice for them. May be next weekend we have a little get together with them and I give Anna an engagement ring."
"That sounds great."
"But we can't tell Anna that we made this decision. We talk it over tomorrow night in front of her. I know it's going to lose its element of surprise: and I know perhaps Anna would prefer something more private like just between the two of us. But on this point, I agree with you completely."
Shahzdeh smiled and admired Steve's perception about his daughter and his respect for their culture.
At home, Anna and Stacy wondered what the two men were talking about.
"I bet they're talking about engagement and wedding." Anna was very annoyed
"You're right; but don't be upset. Let your father take control at this point. You've made your choice, let him follow through."
"I guess you're right. But I wish they talked it over with me first."
"Isn't marrying Steve what you want?"
"Yes."
"Then let your father works on the rest of the details. He is a great man."
"I know."
Walking back from Joe's cafe, Shahzdeh tempted to suggest another issue that was bothering him. Steve realized Shahzdeh's struggle within himself in his silence.
"Is there anything else you like to ask or know, Shahzdeh?"
Shahzdeh stopped walking and faced Steve. He was amazed by Steve's sensitivity; nevertheless, this issue was very important to him. " About your job, are you going to stay with CIA?"
"Don't you like me to work for CIA? That is an honorable and good paying job."
"I know, but there is a lot of danger and secrecy involved working for CIA." He was just a father wanted to protect his daughter and his future son-in-law.
"There is danger everywhere. We may get hit with a car. However, very soon I'll get my law degree and when I pass the Bar Exam, I guess I cam become a lawyer and leave CIA."
"That is great. Are you willing to do that for Anna and for my peace of mind?"
"To be honest, I've been thinking about it for a long time myself. Besides I'll do anything to please you and Anna."
"When will you get your degree?"
"I have only two more courses left. It's taking me longer than I expected because of my work and traveling a lot. I intend to finish this fall."
*
The engagement party was held in their favorite Italian restaurant. The Williams came to town the day before. Shahzdeh liked them at once. They also admired Shahzdeh's gentleness and dignity. In the private room, the Williams, Stacy, Steve, Shazdeh, Anna, and some of their close family and friends dinned. There, after dinner, Steve gave Anna the engagement ring they had bought it together a few days back. In the course of dessert, Steve said: "We need to set a date. I thought of January first, Anna' twentieth birthday." Then he looked at Anna begging for a pleasant response with his eyes.
Everyone thought that was a great and intelligent day Steve had chosen. Anna nodded her head for yes looking at Steve. Shahzdeh gave Steve a gold bracelet and a gold necklace to Stacy he had brought both from Iran. Anna wondered why he had not given those gifts to them earlier; but immediately she knew the answer to her question. "He wanted to make sure that everything is going to work out. He is a business man after all."
In bed, Anna relived that entire evening anew. To forget or to remember! Let it remember or prosper like weeds among grass, or not consider it at all? Somehow that evening had not been what she expected to be. It seemed to her that all was an intrusion to her freedom or to the sense of her liberty. But on the other hand, Steve, who was her choice, now had become her father's choice, too. She fought with herself not to rebel against it. What did she want then? Her relationship with Steve was becoming her transformation of him. This did not seem like the story of passion and a pending marriage. She felt like she was metamorphosing, just like an experiment. Self, no longer was a theoretical issue but it was an existential problem. To regret what was said in that delirium or disregard it? Everything seemed like a passing semblance of a distraught liberal, or assertion to her weakness, or the murmur of a confused woman, who had wanted to astound the world, but had she?

To Be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment