Friday, June 25, 2010

Twenty Two, Breaking Obstacles

There are times, many times, I want to fly;
Somewhere high, very far, even into sky.
There are times, many times, I want to break chains,
And free myself of leading to pains.
When they block my vision, they impede,
My liberty, my freedom, my need.
No matter that my endeavor is in vain.
The shadows around always remain.
I flow like a river, I rise,
Above all obstacles, even with closed eyes.
*
Steve's deliberate witticism, which was his inborn nature and the way he was, granted him Shahzdeh's admiration immediately. Anna's dad, who always had an aura of a mentor and a father figure, was also received very favorably by Steve. Their conversation began with ordinary things and soon was transformed into much profound subjects; nevertheless, the core of their talks was mostly politics, CIA, and political, financial, and cultural condition in Iran. Occasionally Anna and Stacy participated, too; but mostly they sat back, relaxed, and enjoyed the uniting of the two men, soon to be family.
Anna felt something new in her blooming, a creative thing, a feeling of completeness; yet, a sense of confusion was still in her, that subjective chaos that had outlived all other disorders. However, the trembling of that scared creator, herself, was behind her. She suspected the beauty and drama of her life, the delicacy, enchantment, and empathy of this serene life and feeling for the past few months. Who was this new person? Where was that emotional anarchy that had long dominated her existence?
She had thought when the two men she adored would meet, she would be shy and to some extent reserve; for no girl in her family had introduced her future husband to her father. It has always been the other way around. But now, she had no sense of shame. Quiet differently, she was proud and relaxed; for she was certain that her father approved of her choice.
In the kitchen, when the two friends were washing the dishes after dinner, Stacy squeezed Anna's arm and whispered in her ears: "Do you see what I see?"
Anna smiled and kissed her on the cheek. There was a glow in her eyes.
Around eleven, Steve got up to leave. He had noticed Shahzdeh's sleepy eyes.
"I enjoyed talking to you a lot, sir. I must go now. Tomorrow is a work day."
Shahzdeh got up from his chair. He looked tired but somehow Anna felt that he did not want Steve to leave, not yet.
"I enjoyed talking to you, too. We talk more in coming days."
Steve offered his hand for a shake, but Shahzdeh embraced him instead, Persian style. Steve was lingering from one foot to another because he wanted to talk to Anna privately before leaving, he did not know how to ask her to step out for a minute in front of her father. Shahzdeh perceived his ambiguity and with a sweet smile, it had been lost from his face since Aria's death, said: "Anna, why don't you walk with Steve to his car?"
Steve was stupefied. :He read my mind." He thought. Anna and Stacy were astounded, too. Anna, shyly closed the door behind her and walked with Steve to his car.
"I like your father a lot. He is not a man that I thought would be."
"What kind of man did you think he would be?"
"I don't know, stern, backward, not intelligent..."
"You haven't seen anything yet. His collection of books is one of the best. He has willed them to Iranian National Library when he passes. He reads all the time."
"I've had a very pleasant visit. To be honest I was frighten of this first visit."
"I am glad."
They stopped next to his car. He pulled her to him and kissed her lips. Now that Anna knew her father's consent, she kissed him back and stayed in his warmth for as long as she wanted. Steve caressed her hair and back and kissed her more. She was melting beneath his kisses and caresses while feeling his wet, warm lips on hers. Her sense of freedom was aggrandized while the obstacles of past seemed disappearing. She was free to kiss him back and to melt of pleasure and not feel bad about it.
*

To Be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment