Monday, June 21, 2010

Twenty, Insomnia

" You know Anna, I was thinking to go for my master degree in nursing. In fact, you gave me the idea. Now you're backing up from it and discouraging me, too. " She was lying on the sofa. Anna could see a glow in her eyes. "Why don't we both do it.? Isn't that hat your plan was from the beginning?"
Stacy's words resounded in Anna's head for a few times before she was able to answer her friend, When they finally sank in, she got up from her chair, started a cigarette, and paced the room for a while.
"What am I going to do with it. I know that was my goal earlier, but now I see no reason for it."
"Well," Stacy started: "First I can have a better nursing position, like head nurse in a hospital. I can teach. I can go for my PhD. like you were planning. It'll make a whole lots of difference., more money..."
Anna could no longer hear was Stacy was telling her; instead in her mind she was thinking about the brilliance of the idea even though it was originally hers. More education, more time, more money , more independence! Finally she snapped out of her long silence.
"I am with you. We can be with each other a lot longer time; two more years for our master. May be even less. I am finishing four years college in two and a half, and two or three for out PhD., I think you hit the target Stacy."
Stacy smiled. She knew this idea which was originally Anna's might work.
Anna sank into her chair. She was overwhelmed by Steve's image and at the same time the image of the raging parents, and then her own future.
"WE both have a great idea Stacy. But what am I going to do with my parents. They are getting old. I am the only thing they have left."
"I understand. But they have had their lives, good and bad days. Now it's your time. No child ever stays with his parents for ever. You need to think about yourself, your future. They had theirs."
"This is cruel!"
"It sounds cruel, nut it isn't. It's reality."
Anna had a couple of days before Sunday morning to think about this renewed plan, which would but her more time and perhaps save her from perplexity. "By Sunday morning," She thought: "I'll make my decision."
When Anna was out walking Sunday afternoon, Stacy called Steve.
"I have good news for you."
"What is it?'
Anna is staying here."
"How? What happened?"
"She told her dad this morning that she would plan to stay and continue her higher education, as she had planed before, isn't that great?"
Steve sighed: "What are you doing tonight?"
"I have a date. Charlie is coming at seven, probably dinner and a movie."
"What if we double date?"
"That sounds great."
"I'll be there at seven, too."
"Don't you want to ask Anna first? She isn't home now."
"You tell her. Tell her I called."

To Be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment