Monday, June 14, 2010

Chapter Sixteen, Cloudy Past

"Isn't this an an opera by Beethoven playing in your car's recorder?' Anna finally broke the silence.
"Yes, it is. I'm impressed that you recognized it." Steve's overcast attitude suddenly bloomed.
"I can't recognized all classical music, but I love this particular one. I have the tape of it, too. I read Beethoven's biography by Romain Rolland, the French writer, many years ago. Do you know he was deaf and could not hear his own music? In fact, in a famous document about his life, he declared to his two brothers the truth of his incipient deafness and his internal feelings for this tragedy. That letter was dated in 1802, while he had another twenty five years to live. The deterioration of his general health and added emotional pain of his deafness increased tremendously during those years. By his mid forties, he was completely deaf." Anna spoke excitedly. The subject was very fresh and amazing in her mind. "Isn't this remarkable?"
"It's remarkable; and I am extremely impressed by you. You know a lot for your age. Not all nineteen years old are as well read as you are; especially considering where you've come from. You must know music very well!"
"Yes and no. I know music a little. I play piano and violin. And what do you mean by considering where I've come from? what difference does it make where people are from?" It was obvious that she was offended.
"First I am moved that you play piano and violin. I didn't know that; and second it doesn't make any difference where people have come from. It's just we American are ignorant when it comes to other countries' culture and custom especially the part of world that you came from."
"I've recognized that. But don't you, as a CIA agent, supposed to know more than ordinary crowd about other people's culture?'
Steve shuddered by her sarcastic remark; however, he secretly admired the brightness and presence of the mind of this young woman.
"It's seems that you've done your homework about CIA, where I work?" He wanted to get even with her.
"Why not? I needed to know who am I going out with. The name CIA brings a chill to my bones. It reminds me of Savak, the Shah's organization for intelligence services."
"I know of Savak. CIA and Savak are very different. Savak was organized for the threat of the Shah's domestic enemies; while CIA was established because of the world communism."
"But isn't that secret organization against the inherent and free American society?"
"Yes, you're absolutely right. Even the Congress realized that danger when CIA was established in 1947. However it was promised that CIA would not get involved in any kind of police work or any act on any domestic affairs."
"Do you believe that?" She forced a smile.
After a minute of silence, Steve said: "You know, I really don't want to say anything about CIA!"
"Why? Are you afraid that I may say it to others?"
"No, I'm not. I trust you; but we are not supposed to discuss the details even to our family."
Oh, very mysterious!"
"Let's enjoy ourselves tonight and forget about politics and policies. What do you say?"
She realized that he was not comfortable to continue this conversation; therefore, she immediately changed the subject.
"Where are we going?"
"I thought we go to the same restaurant we went with Stacy. I think you liked it."
"Yes, I did. I liked it very much."

To Be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment