Saturday, August 28, 2010

Odyssey...==9- Illusion

Tehran-
In the bus going to her appointment, Hana thought: "What if this is a trick? What if they can't do anything? What if... I wish my mom was with me!" In the P. Square, she got out of the bus and reluctantly crossed the street. That tea shop was a known place for all university students. Sometimes after classes she and some of her girlfriends from college went there to release the tension of the day's work and school; and indulged themselves with a big piece of creamy pastry and a cup of tea before going home. But that day everything looked different. She was very worried that no familiar person see her with two men. Being a decent, young woman meant not to communicate with strange men in her society. She really wished that her mother was with her. Inside the smoky tea shop, first she let her eyes familiarized to the dim and smoky room. Then she noticed a young man was walking towards her. First she did not recognize Hamid; but right away she sighed: "Oh, it is Hamid."
After usual greeting, he led her to a table in a corner which was almost underneath the stairs. She was amazed that he had picked her favorite table.
"Where is your uncle?"
"He is coming. He is normally late."
Hana frowned and thought: "Can I trust a man who is normally late?" Hamid read her mind and stretched his hand and gently touched her finger. "Don't worry, he'll come."
The touch of Hamid's hand shivered Hana and she pulled her hand without saying anything.
"I am so sorry. I didn't mean any harm. Let's order something while we're waiting."
"I just want tea."
"Oh, you should try their pastries. They are great."
"I know. I've been here with my friends before."
"You mean you come here all the way from your home!"
"No, before I go home from college."
"I didn't know you go to college! I thought you're a teacher."
"Yes, I teach; but I go to college in evenings."
Hamid Bent his head with a little smile on his face: "I am impressed."
Somehow Hana began trusting him and very soon she was telling him her life story. She even ordered a pastry, even though at first she was afraid to eat one. The crispy flakes of pastry used to fall all over her dress and had always caused her friends' laughter. Talking to an opposite sex made her to feel what she was forbidden of; and soon she almost forgot her reason for being there. In the heat of the conversation, she was pleased and overwhelmed by a hidden feeling that had been died in her; while Hamid thought maliciously that Hana, so hard working, and responsible, could support him.
{]

To Be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment