Monday, March 7, 2011

Secrets- ***** Chapter Six

"I'd thought of an imaginary look of my father before I saw him for the first time. In that picture, he was short, fat, dark, dirty, with the smell of alcohol in his breath. Somehow I think my mother put all those visions in my mind without speaking of them. I always wondered how a professor, a well educated man, could be all of the above! But when I saw him for the first time, I thought how a man who looks and acts like a gentleman, could do such thing to his own child.
"Well, when I got to know him better, I realized that he is in a way like my mother, against everything. I slowly came to accept that there are not many good people in this world. It's hard for me to put all that I had experienced in the last ten years into words. And it's even harder that I ask you to believe me that I've changed tonight.
"Together we came up with a plan. We thought the best way to hurt Jacob was to destroy his family, the closeness he had with his family, his peace of mind. Diana, please, please, don't hate me. I was fool. I didn't know you then."
"I'm listening! I won't say a word until you finish. I kind of have an idea how your story ends. I'm not going to cry or get hysterical, I promise until I hear all you have to say." Diana said.
"Anyhow, we talked it over, and Tim suggested that I should get close to Vickie somehow. I envied her tremendously. I thought she had it all and I had nothing; both of us from the same father, but I had to live all my life without a father, and she had him all to herself. Having all those feelings, I thought Tim's idea was excellent. But how could I get close to Vickie? I'd seen her only once in one of the university's function before I decided to get close to her.
"Thinking about a plan, we came out with many ideas, but none of them seemed logical and natural. Yes, it had to be natural. One day, to be exact, three years ago, Tim told me that there was going to be a picnic for the faculties and their families at Lake Dallas. He said that there would be a great possibility that Vickie would be thee with her parents. A window of hope opened to me. We planned everything very carefully. Out plan was that I would go but I would keep a very low profile so not to be noticed.
"It was middle of summer, I think sometimes in July, exactly three years ago. The weather was nice, sunny, warm, and breezy. Many people were there with heir families; but there was no sign of Jacob and his family. I was at the verge of a break down. That was perhaps my only chance.
"Later on in the afternoon, when everyone was full and sluggish of barbecue food and sun, Tim motioned to me that Jacob and his family just showed up. I looked at the three of them together. My heart palpitated and sank with a deep sadness. They seemed so close to each other, so normal, so perfect. I doubted my plan for a minute, but when I thought that I could be there with Jacob instead of Vickie, and my mother could also be there instead of Diana, my hesitation vanished.
"Tim kept a low profile. I did not know then why he did not want to be noticed. Of course, I know it now. As it's normal for young people to separate from their parents, I saw Vickie was walking alone while her parents were mingling with others. I walked to her, pretended that I was as bored as she was. 'My name is Rosa.' I said. 'Are you here alone?'
"She turned around and looked at me. I almost fainted to see how much we looked alike, like sisters. 'I'm Vickie, no, I'm here with my parents. They're over there.' She pointed to the direction where Jacob and Diana were standing. Then she said: 'Who are you with? You're too young to be a professor!'
"I smiled.' You're right. I just work for the college. I also am a student.'
"We walked along the shore line until we were out of sight. She talked about her goals, her dreams; but very soon, I cleverly changed the subject.
"' You know I am alone here in Dallas. I have no family here. Maybe we can get together sometimes.' 'Where is your family?' She asked. 'Oh, They're back home. You know I'm from New York.' I didn't tell her where I truly was from. 'You're lucky that you can live on your own. I wish I could do the same.' She said. ' Why don't you?' I asked her. 'Oh, my parents would have a fit if I move out!' 'How old are you?' I asked her. 'Twenty two.' 'I was eighteen when I moved out.' 'What did you parents think of it?' She was curious. 'Well, they didn't like it. But they had no choice. Besides they trusted me.' I was trying to plant a seed of dislike towards her parents in her. 'I'm not sure if my parents trust me or not. But they tell me when I finished school and get a job, I can live on my own. Somehow it sounds logical to me.'

To Be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment