Monday, December 6, 2010

Odyssey... ~}{~33- Cheering Stars

The idea of having a computer occupies Hana's mind. In fact, she looks at many of them one afternoon and asks the sale person many questions. However, she has never spent that kind of money for herself. She has no problem of buying it. But paying for something that is not vital seems obscene to her. It is not the lack of money that hold her of buying the computer since she financially is better now than any other time in her life, but it is the idea of spending money for herself, because she has never done that. She does not know what self worth means, for all her life she has taken care of others and has never learned to take care of herself or buy something nice just to make her feel good. While dueling in her mind by visiting the computer store many times, one evening at dinner time, Mario casually says:
"Did you decide to buy the computer?"
"Not yet, I'm still thinking about it."
"Why is that? Why are you struggling to do things for yourself?"
"I don't know. I'm happy with my typewriter; and besides all the great writers of past never had a computer. Shakespeare wrote all those master pieces with a goose pen!"
Mario listens to her explanation and smiles.
"There were no computers in Shakespeare's time. I bet he would have used it if they had it."
"Can we talk about something else?" She is irritated because his remark seems like invading her privacy.
"All right. We don't talk about it anymore. I want to go to my car to get some cigars."
Hana ignores him and begins cleaning the table. After a few minutes she hears Mario is coming back inside. She wonders if he is hurt by her attitude while thinking about what he said. She makes up her mind at that moment to buy the computer the next day. When Mario calls her in the living room, she is ready to apologize for her rudeness, but what she sees on the coffee table trembles her, a big box. She instinctively knows the content of that box.
"What is that box, Mario?"
"A computer, I bought you a computer."
Hana is outrageous.
"Why? Do you think I am poor? I can buy it myself. I want you to take it back. I won't accept it."
He has been ready for this, for she has never accepted a gift from him.
"Listen Hana, you need to stop this. I love you. What is the difference who bought the computer? people do give gifts to each other all the time. What is wrong with you? I can't do anything for you! It makes me feel good if you allow me to buy you things. Everybody in a relationship like ours do it."
"I don't need you charity. I've been taking care of myself all my life. I don't need someone to take that away from me now."
Even though Mario is very hurt by her behavior, he understands her adamant state of mind. As a matter of fact, that quality is one of the factor he likes about her.
"I'm sorry Hana. You're right. I should not have done this without asking you. I take it back; but I wish you let me do things for you once in a while."
Hana stays silent. She realizes that he is hurt. The thought of losing him is beyond her imagination.
"I'm sorry, too. I wish you've told me what you were planning to do so you didn't have to go through all these troubles. Okay, let's make a deal; I don't mind from now on that you buy me little gifts, but computer is a lot of money. Friends don't buy expensive things for each other."
"Oh, my God Hana; we're more than friends. You're everything to me. I love you. I've never loved anyone the way I love you."
She hugs him passionately because his sincere talking makes her feel good.
By the time the evening is over, she is softened enough to accept the gift, her very first gift from a man.
As Mario has predicted, it takes her a very short time to learn how to work with computer; and for a few problems she has, Mario helps her. In a week, she works with her new machine, as though she has known it all her life. This is the time she begins typing the newest version of her manuscript on her new computer.

To Be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment