Thursday, May 27, 2010

Chapter Seven, Taste Of Life

In a life so tasty, mysterious, and adorable,
An overwhelming power binds us to drive.
The temporary, sad life is not avoidable;
Nevertheless, the hidden purpose of it keeps us alive.

It's moments are filled with blues,
And many more grief we always face.
Reaching to our exhausted goals bring us bad news;
As a baby cries in the comfort of embrace.

When the innocent age is over, it comes longing and pain.
At youth, the ambitious drives push and confound.
Being old, tormented memories hammer the brain.
At death bed, the momentary life doesn't seem profound.

I wonder, is a moment worth all woes?
My secret other self brightens my eyes for a path.
For the lovers of love, there are beauties and rainbows,
While the ignorant people are drowned in lust and wrath.
*
In the crowded street, Anna could find solitude, the most universal, anticipated, and trusting state of human being; that cherished and and serene nature of being aware of the world and herself. She felt that not every beginning had an end hidden in it; the solution could not always be recognized. It was sometimes covered too well.
The relief was so great for her that it overshadowed the fear of telling her father about moving out from her brother's place. But when Sunday came, the day that her father always called to talk to both his children, she woke up sweaty an wet from an unbelievable fear, trembling. Shahzdeh would call Aria's apartment to talk to them. "What would Aria say to him?" She thought. "Anna is not home. She moved out." She pictured her father's outrage. Brain storming over a solution, she finally came to the conclusion to call her father herself. This was something she had to do. She hated to betray her brother because she knew for fact that his wife would betray him when she was done draining him. Not knowing how the conversation would turn out, she dialed the number. She looked at the clock. "It is two in the afternoon there in Tehran." Shahzdeh answered the phone himself.
"Father, it is me."
"Anna, what's wrong? Why did you call? It is four in the morning there. I was going to call myself a little later on."
"Don't worry, dad. I missed you and mom so I thought I call you."
"Is everything okay? How is Aria? How is school?"
"Everything is fine. I must say something to you..."
"What, what, Anna? What is wrong?"
"Dad, please listen. Everything is fine. I moved out. I don't live with Aria anymore."
"What did you say? Did I hear it correctly? Why did you that for? Who gave you the right to do that?"
"Dad, please listen. I can explain. Our schedule is very different and Aria had a very hard time to take me to school. Besides one of his friends moved in with him so they can help each other in their studying. I could not stay there with another man in the home. I got an apartment near school and one of my friend, a nursing student is my roommate. Believe me this is much better for both of us. I don't need a car now to go to school. Marianna, my roommate, is very smart and she helps me a lot." Anna felt breathless. She could not believe the lies she was saying to her father, herself.
A long silence ensued. Then Shahzdeh said in a very different tone of voice:
"I want you to come back to Iran right away."
"Please dad, don't do this. I am not coming back until I finish school."
"All right then! I will come there as soon as possible. You are going to kill me one of these days." And he hanged up the phone.
Anna felt powerless after the conversation. "What will I do?" She felt as though she had ruined her life and her brother's life by that call; but did she have any other choice? Shahzdeh would find out himself sooner or later. Now the only thought she had was how to protect her brother. She did not care at that moment for herself. If their father came, he would find out about Aria's marriage and her lying to him. What would she do.
In a few hours she called Aria and told him what had happened. Aria was outrageous.
"You ruined my life."
"No, I had to. What were you planning to to tell him when he asked you about me? I had to. I promise that I fix things for you."
Fixing things, something that Anna learned to do from very young age.
*

To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment