Saturday, November 27, 2010

Odyssey... ~~31- Prosperity

Farhad's broken heart because of Karen's betrayal has stopped him of dating or having a new relationship; however, his recent secretive talking on the phone, when he closes the door of his room and talks for a long time, brings a light to Hana's heart. "He's getting over what Karen did to him and all of us. He must have a new girlfriend." Notwithstanding, Farhad hides this new relation from his mother for a while. Perhaps he feels guilty for his mother's stolen rings, they meant so much to her, or maybe he is so afraid that mom is going to lecture or advise him. But as all human must grow to maturity, some sooner than others, Farhad's turn has finally come, too. After a long time of not knowing what he wants, now at age almost twenty three, witnessing his brother's motivation and determination, he feels and knows that he must go back to school. But he needs help, his mother's help. He remembers the money he has blown away by enrolling and then dropping at college, the money his mother earned by hard work, sometimes even two jobs. How can he prove to his mom that this time he is serious and he is not going to act frivolously. What he does not know is that he does not need to prove anything to Hana. She will understand and she will support.
When Hana finds a pile of brochures about different colleges, Farhad has intentionally left them on the coffee table, she believes that her wishes have finally come through. At the dinner table that evening, she asks him about those brochures.
"Are you planning to go back to school?"
"Yes, mom, in Spring."
"Have you decided on major?" Hana asks in a way as though it is a done deal.
Farhad is surprised that she is not questioning his credibility.
"Yes, mom, Chemistry."
Oh, sweetheart, that is great. This is the best news I've heard in a long time."
"Mom, aren't you mad at me for all those fooling around and wasting money?"
"No, honey, I'm not. You're still very young. I trust you."
Farhad thinks now that his mother is also changed from a typical Iranian mother, who with intense love combined with extremity, nervous breakdown and crying, and hysterical insistence want their children do what they think is right for them, it is a good time to tell her about Silvana (Sylvie), the Italian girl he is dating for awhile.
"Mom, there is something else..."
Hana instinctively knows.
"Go on."
"I've met this Italian girl in a birthday party. Her name is Silvana." He stops. He is terrified of his mom's bringing up Karen's story.
"When am I going to see her?" Hana, calmly, says.
"Mom, you've changed. You don't lecture me. You're like a new person.
Hana introspects her feelings and realizes that her son is right.
"We all change, my son. Life is all about change. Growth and maturity come with change. In fact, I think it came to me, very late. I am almost forty four. I wish it did come to me sooner so I didn't have to put you, Sam and myself through all those miseries. You've changed, my son, too."

To Be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment