Friday, November 5, 2010

Odyssey...{~} 25- Hesitation

"It was my daughter, Antonio. She is going to have a baby girl."
That phone call changes the subject and Mario talks about his daughter in Boston, who is expecting a baby. She married two years ago to a computer engineer and because of his job offer, they moved to Boston ever since. Hana discovers how much Mario was hurt by his daughter's moving, especially one year after his wife's death; and without speaking, she sympathized with him. She knows the pain since Sam has also moved away.
Soon when the dark blanket of late night covers the room and Valery finds her son asleep on the floor in front of television, everyone seems anxious to get back to their homes while Valery is trying to awaken her son. Robert and Kim leave first. John is finally awake and his growling reminds Hana of her sons when they were John's age. Mario Follows them outside and when they are ready to get into the car, he says:
"It's only eleven o'clock, Hana. Why don't you stay a little longer?"
Valery hugs her cousin and says:
"I have to go. John need to go to bed and he hates when I wake him up. I'm sure he is going to fall asleep in the car and I'll have to carry him inside my apartment. Hana can stay longer if she wants."
Hana is shocked by her friend's suggestion and looks at her in a very criticizing way, but because of absolute darkness, Valery can not see that look.
"Valery, you must be joking. I don't have my car. How do you want me to go home?"
Mario seizes the moment and rushes into the conversation of the two women:
"I take you home, Hana. Please stay longer."
"Mario is right, Hana. I must go because of John. Why don't you stay longer."
Hana feels a heavy bombardment that puts her in an awkward spot. She is torn between staying a little longer or leaving with Valery. The two cousins are impatiently waiting for her answer.
"I don't know. It's late. I must go."
"Tomorrow is Sunday. Just stay a little longer. I take you home whenever you ask me, please."
Hana looks at this lonely man, who is begging her company and to Valery, who is anxious to go home.
"All right, I stay a little longer!"
Valery and Mario smile and hug each other again. Mario whispers in Valery's ear while hugging her, "thank you,"; and then Valery leaves.
Walking back inside the house, Hana takes a last glance at Valery's car which disappears in the curve of the road. Somehow she feels to run after her car only to escape the strange sensation which is unfamiliar to her. Mario notices her averse diffidence, and before they go inside, he says:
"I am sorry I insisted you to stay. Let me take you to your home now."
Hana is astounded by this man's expressive insight. She has always thought that kind of sensitivity belongs only to women from her experience. He can not know her feelings at that moment in the dark unless being a very sensitive man.
"I'm surprised by your observation. Believe me it is nothing against you; it's... just I've never done this." She, shyly, says.
"You're not doing anything wrong, Hana. We both are lonely; and I believe we're different than others. That is why I'm interested in you. I can feel your pain."
Hana notices that he always calls her name and she has not even once done that. She listens to his true remark, and why they are going inside, she says:
"You always call my name, so much so that it is kind of I expect it from you. If we are face to face, why do you do that?"
Mario laughs very gently and then says: "I like the sound of your name. It is beautiful and easy for American to say. Who named you?"
"It is a long story." At this time they're inside.
"I like long stories." Mario responds.
"Can we sit outside in your patio. I like to watch the reflection of sky and stars in the lake."
"Sure, I thought about it myself."
Out there, when Hana finally breathes the fresh, breezy air, mixed with the smell of water and earth, she finally relaxes. Strangely she begins to feel safe as though she has known this man all her life.
"Would you like a drink?"
"How about coffee and brandy." Hana responds.
"Coffee and brandy! that is a strange mix! I had coffee with other liquors but not brandy."
"It is a long story."
Mario laughs again and goes inside to make fresh coffee while Hana watches his masculine body in tight silk shirt, and a khaki pants and brown shoes. Sitting out there, where the best of nature in the industrial city of Dallas soothes her; she is pleased that she stayed. She recognizes Mario as a man with energy combined with gentleness and virtue, yet reserved and intelligent. When he returns with two cups of coffee and a bottle of brandy in a tray, she believes that her decision to stay was a right one. For the first time she speaks in her speaking mind something she has never told herself: "I am a human being, too. I need to enjoy life."
Mario sits on a chair, and the two of them sip their coffee and brandy. Mario wanted Hana to pour the brandy in the coffee. They sip their coffee first in silence while observing the best of nature. He speaks with his eyes as the end of his cigar is inflated into a thick azure ash. Hana intensely watches his cigar and thinks if it falls, it will burn what is buried behind that soft silk. She loves the smell of his cigar mixed with a cologne he is wearing. She thinks if she had a chance to pick a man for her, it would be him. In the quietude of the night, they both watch the sky and a huge piece of cloud in whole in far horizon which looks clear and transparent. She has never felt this tranquil, while he feels likewise in that empathic moment.
"Do you want to tell me the long stories about your name and coffee and brandy." Mario turns towards her,
"Well, I am the first child of my parents. My grandfather from father side wanted to name me something he had picked from Koran; but my parents did not like that. So they talked with each other and chose Hana. My father goes to the court house and register my name as Hana. When he comes home, and my grandfather sees that it is not the name he asked them, my father simply says the clerk in the court house made a mistake and it is too late to do anything about it. So it Was Hana. For my brothers and sisters, that came after me, my grandfather was dead."
Mario laughs: "What a clever way. That is such a sweet story. I know in a lot of countries grand fathers from father side have a lot of power."
"I've noticed. You're a Renascence man. You know a lot."
Mario did not know if that was a compliment or criticize.
"What about the other long story? Coffee and Brandy."
"The first time I had it was with my uncle, Behroz, the one that is now dead. I told you he was my best friend. I wasn't even married then."
"What was the circumstances?" Mario asks.
"I don't think that I want to talk about it now, not yet."
As time flies quickly, they both get up at the same time and walk towards the lake. There, they stand next to each other to breathe and smell what has been robbed from them, freedom. Spontaneously Mario puts his hand on her shoulder. Although the touch of his hand trembles her, she does not resist or fight it and let the nature, her about to awaken nature, takes its course. He pulls her closer to him with his strong hand while Hana is melting by a sensation she has never known. It is like a warm shower in a cold day, when you feel every drop of that warm water inside of you. Strangely, she feels that she wants more of his touch; but how can she ask for it?
When they go back inside, their uproarious souls are satisfied by the empathic ambiance they had outside without doing anything but holding hands. The light of the room bothers their eyes since they have found peace in the darkness of nature. She realizes for the first time she has not been worried what Farhad will think of her coming home late. While they both want to be together the entire night, he recognizes that by asking that he will dishonor her trust.
"Do you want me to take you home now?"
Hana looks at her watch, it is one o'clock in the morning. As much as she wants to be with this man, she knows her unruly soul will torture her for it later.
"Yes, please. It's very late."
In front of Hana's apartment, they stay in the dark car for a few minutes without speaking while holding hands. Hana wants to stop the passing times, but can she?
"Thank you very much for the nice evening. I had a wonderful time."
"So did I. Can we see each other again?" Mario looks at her.
Suddenly the forgotten fear shivers her. She becomes aware of breaking her rule. "Never fall for another man." She thinks in exasperation to stop the ecstasy before it deepens.
"I don't know. I'm sacred."
"Me, too. But think about it. I never force you to do something you don't want to do. I like you a lot. You're different and intelligent, a combination that's hard to find."
His words are soothing, his manly attitude is gentle, and the smell of his cigar is enticing.
"We talk again." She says.
Mario gets out of the car and walks around it to open the door for her, but before he gets there, she opens the door and gets out. She is not used to a man opens the door for her. Mario embraces her gently and kisses her on the cheek while she is about to faint by the smell of his cigar.

To Be Continued


No comments:

Post a Comment